WELCOME...

Thank you for checking out my blog. To submit comments, click on "COMMENTS" at the end of each post. To email a post to a friend, click the white envelope also at the end of each post. Contact Me

TO ADD YOUR BLOG HERE - Click the "Follow This Blog" on the right.

TO SUBSCRIBE - Click a subscription option on the right.

TO READ PAST POSTINGS - Scroll down to my "Blog Archives" on the right or enter a search word or phrase in the search box above.


September 16, 2008

A NEW, MEANER, UGLIER JOHN MCCAIN

Before he began running for President this time around, I used to like John McCain. I really wanted to believe that he was who he claimed to be. And judging from his public comments and the people he stood up for, he seemed to be just that.

Over the years, I've become pretty cynical. Especially when it comes to politics and politicians. But there have been occasions, even though I've been a life-long democrat, when I've supported other candidates. McCain was one of those candidates. At least he was 8 years ago. In 2000 I did vote for Al Gore but in 2004 I very seriously considered voting for McCain had he become the nominee. I even went so far as to write a letter to Kerry urging him to consider McCain for his running mate.

The tragedy of who McCain has turned himself into has more than reinforced my cynicism. Maybe he got blinded by the prospect of finally becoming a viable presidential candidate or maybe it was the promises he got when he made that startling turn-around in support of Bush. Whatever the reason, he has become everything he used to despise and has transformed himself into a mean, ugly and totally untrustworthy old man.

Richard Cohen wrote an op-ed piece in the Washington Post that is online now and will be published in the paper tomorrow. It's titled "The Ugly New McCain" and in it, he details everything that has become wrong with a John McCain candidacy. He brilliantly sums up my own personal feelings and it's one of those rare pieces of journalism that everyone should read.

To access Cohen's piece, go to: WashingtonPost.com

0 comments: